Bestiality in Texas
The full Bestiality text can be found in section 21.09 of the Texas Penal Code
A person commits Bestiality if they knowingly engage in an act involving contact between their mouth, anus, or genitals and the anus or genitals of an animal. Or, if the person engages in an act that involves contact between the person’s anus or genitals and the mouth of the animal.
Other ways to get charged with Bestiality under this section of the law are:
- Fondling or touching the anus or genitals of an animal in a manner that is not generally accepted,
- Causing an animal to contact the seminal fluid of a person
- Inserting any part of the person’s body or any object into the anus or genitals of an animal
- Possess, sell, transfer, or obtain an animal with the intent of using that animal for bestiality
- Organize, promote, conduct, or participate as an observer of bestiality
- Causing a person to engage or help a person engage in bestiality
- Permitting bestiality to occur on any premise under your control
- Engage in bestiality in the presence of a child younger than 18
- Advertise, offer, or accept the offer of an animal with the intent that the animal be used in this state for bestiality
It is an exception to the law that conduct is a generally accepted and lawful animal husbandry or veterinary practice.
If you are charged with Bestiality, most of the time it will be a state jail felony. A State Jail Felony has a range of punishment of 6 months – 2 years in a state jail and a fine of up to $10,000. If an animal suffers serious bodily injury, or the act is performed in front of a child younger than 18, then the charge would be a 2nd Degree Felony. A 2nd Degree Felony has a range of punishment of 2-20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
What do I do if I am Charged with Bestiality?
Do not talk to anyone, do not make any statements, and hire an attorney. Bestiality is a relatively new charge in Texas, but is something that the state is taking seriously.
Had Texas wanted to, they could have made Bestiality a misdemeanor, but they decided to make Bestiality a felony. Since Bestiality is a felony charge, it has the potential to ruin your life. Forget the fact that you could go to jail for up to 2 years, a felony conviction follows you for a lifetime.
My goal is to always do the best possible for my clients. I will fight for you no matter what the charge is. If there is a defense, I will do everything in my power to show the DA, Judge, Jury that you are not guilty of this crime. If you did make a mistake, then I will do whatever necessary to get you the best deal possible.