Can I Amend the Conditions of My Probation in Texas?

Can I amend or change the conditions of my probation in Texas? It depends on many things, including the type of case, the county, the judge, etc. It will vary from county to county.

My name is Eric Benavides and I’m a Texas criminal defense lawyer. I get clients that ask me from time to time if they can change the conditions of their probation.

Now, whether those conditions be curfew or interlocks or community service or jail time or GPS or no contact orders, it is possible to try to change the  conditions but it is up to the judge.

The way the process works is you

  • file a motion to amend the conditions
  • you explain to the judge why you’re trying to do it
  • you order the probation file
  • get a hearing set and
  • wait for the judge to make their decision

Now, a lot of the times this process can be avoided by simply having your lawyer walk in and have a conversation with the judge and see if the judge would even consider it. That can save you time and that can save you money. But your lawyer should be able to give you a better idea of your chances of success based on the county and the judge you’re in front of.

But the short answer to the question is, yes, it is possible but it is up to the judge.